Skip to content ↓
  • 01606 537670

Middlewich High School

Excellence in Learning – Achievement for All



Pathway Subject

 The GCSE Art and Design course is aimed at students who have a keen interest in drawing and painting as well as many other aspects of art. Art and Design offers a unique way of communicating ideas, thoughts and self-expression.  The course encourage the ability to observe, select and interpret with imagination, feeling and understanding.

Students will be required to keep sketchbooks in which they will record all research, Critical Studies, development of ideas and preparation work.  This is an essential element of their coursework, both in class and as homework. Students will have the opportunity to work with a wide variety of media including, paint, plaster, clay, glass, glue guns, pastels etc.

Assessment information

Coursework will consist of a minimum submission of three assignments accounting for 60% of the marks.  Each assignment will include practical and critical/contextual work. There will be a preparation period of 8 weeks, followed by 10 hours of supervised exam time.  This test piece accounts for the remaining 40% of the marks.

How will studying Art help me in the future?

The course will be of interest to anyone considering a career in an Art and Design based environment such as Pattern design,  Retail window design, Architecture, Product Design, Fashion Design,  Graphic Design etc.  The course would also appeal to students wanting to work with children; the creative nature of the course will provide opportunities for students working in a nursery , pre school or school environment.  Students could proceed onto further study of Art, Textiles, Graphics or Photography A level. Or  there is a vast variety of Art courses offered at our local colleges.



Head of Department: Mrs O'Rourke